Craig D. CherryShareholder
Craig Cherry has obtained significant settlements and verdicts for his clients during his legal career, including verdicts recognized by legal journals as a “Top Texas Verdict” and “Top 100” verdict in the United States. The success he has achieved for his clients is due, in no small part, to his ingenuity and relentless tenacity. Craig’s tireless dedication and ability to anticipate his opponent’s next move makes him the ultimate opponent in the courtroom. When it comes to litigation and trial strategy, he is regularly recognized by his peers as being at the top of the list.
As a trial lawyer, Craig is triple board certified and focuses his practice on complex civil litigation in multiple areas including business litigation, catastrophic personal injury litigation, wrongful death litigation, product liability litigation, commercial trucking accident litigation, and construction litigation. Craig has successfully represented both individuals and businesses throughout the United States and in Europe.
Craig is Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is also Board Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Craig’s board certifications are so rare that less than 1% of all lawyers licensed in the State of Texas are triple board certified. Craig has also been appointed by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization to serve as a Member of the Personal Injury Trial Law Exam Commission and the Civil Trial Law Advisory Commission.
Craig has also earned an AV Preeminent Rating (5.0/5.0) from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings, which is the highest possible rating a lawyer can earn for both ethical standards and legal ability. This rating was earned only after Craig was reviewed and recommended by judges Craig has appeared before and fellow lawyers Craig has worked with and against in cases.
As evidence of both his advocacy skills and the superior results achieved for his clients, Craig has been recognized by his peers as a Texas “Super Lawyer” for the years 2013 – 2017. Prior to being recognized as a “Super Lawyer”, he was recognized as a “Rising Star” by his peers in Texas Monthly magazine each year he was eligible (2005 – 2013). He was also invited to become a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers and was named a “Top 100” civil trial lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers Association. Craig was also named the Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Waco-McLennan County Bar Association in 2005.
The following are just a few examples of Craig’s vast experience and results he has achieved on behalf of his clients:
- Lead counsel for a Texas company with manufacturing and marketing operations and subsidiaries in the United States and in Europe. Craig’s client sued a distributor for breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation and trademark infringement, with cases pending simultaneously in France and in federal court in the United States. The case settled favorably for Craig’s client for a confidential sum.
- Lead counsel for the plaintiff and her parents in a trial against one of the largest trucking companies in the nation. The trucking company argued that its global positioning satellite (GPS) data demonstrated that none of its trucks could have been involved in a wreck that injured the plaintiff and killed her sister. Craig and his co-counsel demonstrated that the company’s GPS data was inaccurate and unreliable. The jury agreed and returned a verdict in favor of Craig’s clients. The verdict was announced as a “Top Texas Verdict” by VerdictSearch. The case settled favorably for Craig’s clients for a confidential sum.
- Co-lead counsel for a Louisiana company that brought breach of contract and fraud claims against one of the largest oil and gas companies in the world. The case involved a complicated supply chain of unique materials from Florida that were used at a refinery in Texas. After two days of evidence before a three-member arbitration panel, the case settled favorably for Craig’s client for a confidential sum.
- Lead counsel for three defendants accused of being involved in a conspiracy to defraud the plaintiffs of several million dollars. After taking the plaintiff’s deposition and developing forensic accounting evidence which defeated plaintiff’s allegations, the case was resolved favorably for Craig’s clients without them ever being deposed.
- Lead counsel and successfully defended one of the largest aerial lift manufacturers in the world in a multi-million dollar commercial case involving allegations of breach of contract and tortious interference with contract.
- Lead counsel for the parents of a minor who suffered a traumatic brain injury. Craig sued multiple defendants involved in the operations of an athletic facility, as well as, the design of the facility. After Craig was hired, the case was resolved and Craig doubled the amount of the recovery his clients originally expected to receive after getting prior legal advice from another attorney.
- Lead counsel for a city against multiple defendants involved in the design and construction of a city water well that failed to operate properly. Originally, the defendants refused to pay anything to address the operational issues with the water well. After Craig developed evidence of improper drilling procedures and testing utilized by some of the defendants, the case settled favorably for Craig’s client.
- Lead counsel for a worker who was blinded when a spring broke on equipment he was using and shot into his eye. Multiple defendants were involved in this product liability case and Craig developed evidence that a supplier had been submitting false invoices and selling the manufacturer of the equipment the wrong spring design for over 15 years. The case settled favorably for Craig’s client for a confidential sum.
- Lead counsel for defendant being sued on a guarantee for a promissory note held by a bank. After a week-long trial, the jury decided the guarantee was not enforceable against Craig’s client and that Craig’s client owed nothing.
- Lead counsel for the family of a deceased nursing home resident who died from complications due to a decubitus ulcer. Craig obtained a judgment in excess of $10,000,000.00 against the nursing home operator. The case settled favorably for Craig’s clients for a confidential sum.
- Co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in the first case in the United States where a jury returned a verdict that a motor coach bus was unsafe because it did not have seat belts or safety glass to protect passengers. The verdict in that case was also listed by the National Law Journal as one of the “Top 100” verdicts in the United States. The case settled favorably for Craig’s clients for a confidential sum.
- Baylor University (B.B.A., 1998)
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1999)
Honors & Awards:
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell (5.0/5.0)
- Recognized as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in Texas Monthly magazine 2013 – 2017
- Recognized as a Texas “Rising Star” in Texas Monthly magazine (Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition) 2005 –2013
- Selected as “Top 100” Texas Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Selected as “Top 100” Trial Lawyer (Northern Texas) by America’s Top 100 Lawyers
- Selected as a “Top 40 under 40″ Texas lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers Association (2012 – 2014)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Named Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Waco-McLennan County Bar Association (2005)
- Contributing Editor to the General Practice Digest, Consumer Law Section, of the State Bar of Texas
- Editorial Board of The Advocate, the quarterly journal publication of the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Co-author, “The Classification of General and Special Damages for Pleading Purposes in Texas”, 51 Baylor L. Rev. 629 (1999)
Professional & Community Memberships:
- The Texas Lyceum, Director
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Alliance for Judicial Funding, Inc., Board Member of nonprofit, nonpartisan group that assists the legislative efforts of the state judiciary
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Personal Injury Trial Law Exam Commission, Member
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Civil Trial Law Advisory Commission, Member
- Editorial Board for The Advocate, quarterly journal publication of the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, Member
- Litigation Section State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Abner V. McCall American Inn of Court, Member (President 2014 – 2016)
- Waco-McLennan County Bar Association (Board of Directors 2010-2015)
- Waco-McLennan County Young Lawyer’s Association (Board of Directors 2003-2006; Treasurer, 2006-2007; Secretary, 2007-2008; Vice President 2008-2009; President 2009-2010)
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Baylor University School of Law, teaching courses in both Consumer Protection and Remedies
- American Heart Association (Waco Chapter), Director
- Rotary Club of Waco (President 2015 – 2016, President-Elect 2014 – 2015, `Secretary/Treasurer 2013 – 2014)
- MISD Education Foundation, Director and Executive Committee (President 2015 – 2016, Vice President 2014)
- MISD MAST Committee, Member
- LEAD (Leadership, Education, and Development) Mentor for area high school students through a program established by the Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce and the Waco Independent School District
- Member, Administrative Board and Finance Committee, First United Methodist Church
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Board Certified — Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified — Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified — Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy