The law firm of Haley & Olson, P.C. was formed in 1981. Since then, our attorneys have had the privilege to assist businesses, banks, and local governments, and individuals across the U.S. through numerous legal issues. Our legal team has a reputation for handling all matters with high-quality, efficient, and effective representation to help achieve the best possible results in complex legal matters.
Our lawyers practice in a variety of different areas, giving us a comprehensive understanding of many matters. This diversity, along with powerful resources and commitment, have not gone unnoticed. Our team is frequently referred matters or asked to serve as co-counsel with attorneys who once opposed us. We also regularly represent entities that previously opposed us, which is, in our opinion, the highest compliment we receive.
The Heritage of Haley & Olson
Our firm was founded by two great men, whose work and principles we carry with us to this day. While they’re no longer with us, Haley & Olson, P.C. continues to make an impact in their names—continuing the work they started decades ago.
Judge Wilmer C. Haley
Judge Haley was born in Red River County, Texas and graduated from Dallas public schools. He received his law degree in 1937 from Southern Methodist University and was admitted to the Texas bar the same year.
“Judge,” as he was known in the Waco legal community, actively practiced law in Waco for over 59 years. His clients included McLennan County and many other Central Texas counties, as well as many local physicians. The Judge gave legal advice on several historic projects in Waco, including negotiating with the federal government for the location of Lake Waco and the attendant complexities dealing with that project. He was a zealous advocate for his clients, regardless of the nature of the undertaking.
He held the offices of City Judge of Waco (1943-48); City Commissioner, Waco (1949-50); and County Judge, McLennan County (1960). He was a member of the Waco-McLennan County Bar Association and served in many offices, including the office of President in 1955-56. He was very active in the State Bar. He held many offices at the State level, including Director and Chairman of the Board of the State Bar of Texas. He was an instructor of insurance and related subjects at Baylor Law School for more than ten years.
He was a distinguished member of the Masonic Lodge, having achieved recognition for his fifty-year membership of Herring Lodge, where he served as Worshipful Master in 1960. He was also a Scottish Rite Mason and was honored with the 32nd degree Knight Commander Court of Honour and a long-time member of the Karem Shrine. Judge Haley was also a respected counselor and advisor to local businesses and served on the boards of local banks and other businesses and charitable organizations, and was especially devoted to the local Salvation Army Board of Directors.
Lyndon Olson was a native of Waco. He was the son of a career soldier who emigrated from Sweden. Mr. Olson graduated from Waco schools and served in the United States Army during World War II. He graduated from Baylor Law School in 1950 and, for 55 years, represented numerous municipalities, individuals, and businesses throughout Texas. He was a former City Attorney for the City of Waco. Mr. Olson served twelve years on the Board of Trustees of the Waco Independent School District and twenty years on the Board of the Brazos River Authority. A highlight of his long, productive career came when he successfully argued the landmark case of Avery v. Midland County before the Supreme Court of the United States. In that case Mr. Olson, along with his brother, Bill, represented the Mayor of Midland, Texas in his claim that the precincts of the county commissioners of Midland County should have balanced populations. In its holding, the U.S. Supreme Court, for the first time, applied the principal of proportionate representation, or “one man, one vote,” to an entity of local government.
Mr. Olson was a lifelong member, and fourth generation Sunday school teacher, at Central Presbyterian Church. He was a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason and a member of James H. Lockwood Masonic Lodge in Waco. He served as President of the Waco-McLennan County Bar Association and on the boards of numerous local charities.